luckily enough there's a major hindu holiday coming up, Deshain. right now that seems to mean there's a lot of kite flying going on. some of us hung out out on the rooftop yesterday, flying kites.
maldivians did this, too. you make really cheap kites (sorry sue, not the big fancy kind that you
gave me), and then you engage in kite wars with other kids on other rooftops. you don't go for the kite itself, but the lines. sometimes kids will glue glass shards or razors on their own strings, but usually the string is so thin that it'll wear away after a couple of passes. it's fun, there's a lot of shouting involved.i'm not going to be flying kites all week. we're going whitewater rafting on tuesday.
3 comments:
kite flying, white water rafting... sounds tough:) I AM in fact on the wrong continent, but that will be rectified on Tuesday when I finally leave for Zambia. Sounds like things are going well in Nepal, but why are you looking for your own apartment? Did they not have anything for you?
I must get back to packing. Enjoy the festivities!
ash
hey
reminds me of the time i flew a kite off the back of a ferry, probably less shouting and the string just broke.
enjoy the rafting, look out for crocodiles (no wait, that is just the nile).
Hey Davu, did you ever read "The Kite Runner"? It's named after the very same pastime. I could try sending you a copy if you think you'll have time to read it...or I could be a typical laissez-faire Potato and just wait till you get back.
Work is starting to seem less and less appealing....
Post a Comment